Monday, September 18

Out of Tokyo

As you may or may not know I vacated the city this past weekend. I spent some time visiting some family outside of Kyoto. A nice time was had by all. And as per usual, I had some amazing food!


This slab of beef will set you back about ¥3500. It was one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life. These pictures do not do it justice, it was huge! I tried to take a picture of it after it was done cooking, when it was all juicy, with butter melting on it. But, I had to eat it. Like NOW! It tasted like candy, melting in my mouth! I will definitely be paying that butcher a visit the next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Topic change:

So in Japan it seems there is a subculture connected to every transportation mode out there. It's great...but a bit perplexing at times as well. Do we really need souped-up Merc A class cars? How about people carriers and vans? Do we need tricked out vehicles for mom and dad to putz around the town on the weekend? Well, apparently the answer is yes. And to go along with that nonsense come these toys.


The display case was pretty snazzy. You press that button and those 4 mini-vans would slide back & forth, lights a-flashing! Just what you need to attracted the kiddies! And to top it off they had all these separate kits to make your remote control van even better. I don’t mean to knock it really, it’s just, well....toys for me have always been aspirational. I bought and wanted toys so I could imagine what it was like driving a Ford GT or flying a jet or whatever. I know that I never longed to have a van, that's for damn sure. But, hey, maybe I’m the weird one. Who knows? Irregardless!!! I was able to get a bit of enjoyment just from seeing it, so I guess it can’t be all bad.


And then, tonight we were treated to a pink sunset in Tokyo. Photos can't really match reality in some cases.

No comments: