Wednesday, February 14

Special day(s) + Tidbits


Happy Valentine's to all you good people out there. I hope you sent some extra strong lovin' to your special someone. Valentine's Day in Japan is a bit different than in the US. After years of busting my ass to get flowers, chocolate, cards, perfume, or jewelry. (...yes, there was one extra special year when I was living it up, high on the hog) After years of working hard on Feb 14th to make it special, now I can just sit back and relax. I just chill out and watch the chocolate roll in. It's very nice...and not. I feel conflicted over not getting my girl anything. But that's the way they do it over here. What can I do?


In Japan they have separated the gift exchanging and broadened it out. Let me break it down for you.

Feb 14th: Girls give chocolates to guys. That "s" is there for a reason: not only should she give chocolate to her boyfriend/husband, but she should give some to her co-workers as well. Maybe not all of them, but girls are expected to give chocolate at least to her boss and close associates. And not just any chocolate...there is a clear premium placed on hand made chocolates. It sounds like a pain in the ass to me...and judging by the chaos in the sweets area at the department store I went to today...a lot of women agree.

A word to the wise to all you men out there...just wait before you start popping the corks.

March 14th aka White Day: Now this is the day men have to give cookies or marshmallows to girls. They must give a return gift to all those lovely ladies who gave them chocolates. I think traditionally men are supposed to give a gift that is more expensive than what they got. It is all very complicated. I have been reduced to making lists of who gave me what so I don't commit a social faux pa.


In closing, it's better and worse: great for romantic couples cause it doubles the lovey days, on the other hand double the heartbreak for the single and looking people. In my mind, the biggest winner is the retail industry: another reason for a sale and a huge increase in foot traffic. All it really does for me, is give me an extra month to shop for a great gift.

Enough of all that, let's get to some tidbits! As I was walking to lunch the other day I was floored by this automotive specimen.


For those people, like me, who couldn't quite place it: it is a Aston Martin DBS. I knew it was an Aston easily, but I originally thought it was a DB6, I was wrong. Either way, it was such a shock to see such a strikingly beautiful car in the midst of all the crap that was clogging up the streets.


I am not a huge fan of classic cars, but sometimes they are such a fresh breath of air. I debated taking pics at that moment, I thought I could grab them when I was coming back from picking up my lunch. This what I saw coming around the corner on my way back to work.


I'm not even a huge fan of Astons. And as much cache as they have for being in the 007 movies. This particular model was only in On Her Majesty's Secret Service with George Lazenby, not my favorite Bond ever. Not by a long shot. Oh well. I liked seeing the car. And it was a pleasure to see on in the flesh. And I'm glad I took the pics when I did.


I ran across this ad on the way to the train the other day. I thought it was just your typical over-hyped perfume advert. A bit more tasteless then most, with the refuge pic and all, but wait, what is that red circle on the ground?


And the black machine?


It is a perfume dispenser. When you press the button under the arrow, the silver nozzle sprays up a shot of perfume. Pretty clever, even if it is kinda useless. Is this a big step forward in the advertising of perfume? Discuss. (Me, I think it is a tiny step, and maybe not even a step forward. The ad and dispenser disappeared pretty quickly.)

That's it for me today. I hope to bring you more goodness soon.

PS. To my girl: Thanks for the delicious morning surprise and just you wait for White Day!

3 comments:

gjbeck said...

I could use an extra month to try to find something for my babe--IMPOSSIBLE to buy for...I just give up. Happy Valentines and early Happy White day. The Aston is MY type of car.

Anonymous said...

Dentists will make money after Feb. 14th.

Anna Van Someren said...

i love the action shot of the car leaving. it makes me laugh. it makes me laugh because it's just like when you say you caught one "in the wild"...i am starting to picture you kind of like on safari in the streets of tokyo, stalking your "specimens". if you look at that picture of the car leaving, i don't know...it's starting to look like a tiger to me.